- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Park in well-lit areas.
- Keep money in a pocket instead of a purse or wallet.
- Do not leave purses unattended in shopping carts, even for a minute.
- Portray a confident and self-reliant person, walk like you have a mission.
- Do not walk or jog alone at night.
- Dress so you can walk or run to avoid an attack. Be especially alert when using ATMs and pay phones.
- Never write Secret Codes or Personal Identification Numbers (PIN) on your credit cards or ATM cards.
- Do not release your personal information to anyone unless you absolutely must.
- Only release your social security number if absolutely necessary.
- When disposing of personal documents, always shred papers which contain your personal information such as your bank account numbers, your social security number, credit card statements, etc.
- Should you lose your credit cards, ATM cards, or bank checks, immediately report it to your bank or credit card company.
- If someone makes you feel uncomfortable or the situation just does not seem right, trust your instincts and leave.
- Avoid excessive alcohol consumption.
- If you are attacked or robbed, or you witness violence, be a good witness.